Soooo, you’ve spent days, weeks, months and possibly even years planning every teeny tiny element of your BIG DAY! Now, the time has come for you to find a wedding photographer – someone who you can trust to capture every moment of your wedding day, perfectly.
Here are the BIGGEST questions you need to ask when you meet your wedding photographer…
The Day of the Wedding:
- Firstly – Is my wedding date available? *If the answer is no – then OBVIOUSLY there’s no need to ask the rest of the questions!*
- How many other weddings will you be photographing that weekend?
- Will you have any assistants with you on the day of the wedding?
- How will you be dressed?
- How far in advance do I need to book you?
- What information do you need from me before the wedding day?
A Little Bit of Background Info:
- How long have you been shooting weddings/doing photography?
- Roughly how many weddings have you photographed? Have you done any that were similar to mine in size and style?
- Have you shot a wedding at my venue before? *If not*, are you going to check it out in advance?
- Do you have a portfolio of weddings you’ve shot — from start to finish — that I can have a look at?
- Have you ever worked with the other vendors at my wedding before? (Florist, videographer… etc.)
- Do you have any testimonials/references I could have a look at?
Establish the Photography Style:
- How would you describe your style of wedding photography? (e.g. reportage, documentary, artistic, traditional etc…)
- How would you describe your working style? Do you orchestrate shots or are you more organic in your approach??
- What do you think makes your work distinct from others?
- Do you shoot digitally or with film? Or both?
- What type of equipment do you use?
- Are their options for you to shoot in colour and black and white?
- Can I provide a list of specific shots we would like? (This can potentially be a sensitive question, some photographers will capture natural images ONLY…Others will be more than happy to oblige!)
Types of Packages Available and Payment:
- If my wedding site is out of your area, do you charge a travel fee and what does that cover?
- What kind of packages do you offer?
- Can I tailor a specific package based on my exact needs?
- When will I receive a written contract?
- How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due? Do you offer any kind of payment plan?
- If we needed to cancel – what is your refund/cancellation policy?
- Do you have liability insurance?
On The BIG Day:
- Do you have any backup equipment? What about a contingency plan if you’re unable to shoot my wedding for any reason?
- Can other people/guests take photos while you’re taking photos?
- What time will you arrive on site and how long will you shoot for?
- If my wedding overruns unexpectedly, will you stay? Is there an additional cost for this?
- Will you need something to eat on the day of the wedding?
After You’ve Tied the Knot:
- What type of album designs do you offer? Will you provide assistance in creating the album?
- Do you provide any retouching, colour adjustment, or other corrective services to the images?
- When will I get the proofs? Will they be available to view online? Or on a USB stick?
- Will you be posting about our wedding on your own social media sites? Or submitting our photos to wedding websites/blogs?
- What is the ordering process for photos and albums?
- How long after I order my photos/album will I receive them?
- Will you give me the negatives and/or the digital images, and is there an *additional* charge for that? Will the digital images be high-resolution? Can I share the images myself or are they copyrighted?
– P.S! Don’t forget to print out this list of questions and bring it with you to your first meeting with your photographer –